The department always has a number of suggestions for degree projects (see below for examples). We can also often help to establish contacts with companies that are interested in degree projects, both in Sweden and abroad. The topics can include systems theory, modeling and simulation, machine learning, real-time systems, process control, automotive systems, robotics, and a large range of other application areas for control and dynamical systems in general.
If you are interested in doing your degree project with us please contact our Director of Studies, Anton Cervin (email@example.com, office M:5142, phone 046-222 32 70), or discuss directly with any of the teachers at the department.
Useful Documents in Swedish / English
- Examensarbetesprocessen / The engineering degree project process
- Kursplan för Examensarbete i reglerteknik / Course syllabus for Degree Project in Automatic Control
- Anmälan – Examensarbete / Enrolment Form – Degree Project
- Examensarbete – Sammanställning av aktiviteter / Summary of activities in a degree project
Collaborative Project Suggestions
The following is a list of suggested projects in collaboration between multiple departments at LTH and/or industry:
- Autopilot for Rescuerunner Waterjet (Control/EIT/SSRS)
- Parameter Identification of the KUKA LBR iiwa 7 R800 Robot (Control/CS) – contact Anders Robertsson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Industrial Project Suggestions
The following is a selection of companies and some potentially control-related degree projects that have recently been proposed. Please contact Anton Cervin (email@example.com) if you would like to add your company and your master's thesis project proposal(s) to this list.
- ABB Control Technologies – Implementation of new automatic PID tuning methods
- Axis – Current thesis proposals, in particular
- BorgWarner – Mechatronics thesis proposals 2019
- Combine control systems – General thesis information
- Combitech – Open data for data-driven decision-making and development
- Corebon – Temperature-controlled induction heating; Augmented reality
- DVN-GL Energy – Value of energy storage in future power systems
- E.On – Distrbuted algorithm for charging of electrical vehicles (contact Anton for more information)
- Frövi/Rockhammar – Several project proposals on modelling, simulation and control in a pulp and paper mill
- Gentec Solutions – Control of heat exchanger
- Modelon – Current thesis proposals
- Modelon/UTC Carrier – Nonlinear model predictive control evaluation for HVAC optimal control
- Orbital Systems – Implementation and optimization of a self-learning, model-based controller on a recycling shower
- Schneider Electric – Current thesis proposals
- UTC Climate, Controls & Security – Chiller architecture selection and numerical analysis; Control architecture & fault detection; Dynamic modeling and control for fire suppression systems
Examples of Swedish companies that recently hosted thesis projects are: ABB, Alfa Laval, AssiDomän Frövi, Astra Zeneca, Axis, Dynasim, Emerse, Ericsson, Haldex Traction, TAC, Tetra Pak, Volvo. Some thesis projects have also been done at companies abroad. Recent examples are ABB (Switzerland and Germany), Daimler-Chrysler (Germany), ZF Lenksysteme (Germany), General Electric Global Research (Germany).
The Department has good international contacts and can help to arrange thesis projects in other countries. Some recent examples are California Institute of Technology, University of California Berkeley, Imperial College, University of Newcastle, University of Melbourne, Laboratoire d'automatique de Grenoble, University of Coimbra, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL.